POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tubular shape : Re: Tubular shape Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tubular shape
From: Warp
Date: 7 Jun 2001 06:27:23
Message: <3b1f570b@news.povray.org>
parasonic <par### [at] homecom> wrote:
: thanks..works like a charm!!!

: "parasonic" <par### [at] homecom> wrote in message
: news:3b1ea3eb$1@news.povray.org...
:> Can anyone tell me how I would make a bending tube? I am looking into
: making
:> a power cord for a pov'ed soldering iron.
:>
:> Thanks!
:>
:>

  Sorry about preaching once more about correct news writing, but
some recapitulation might not be bad. And this special article has
several mistakes.
  I'll tell you the mistakes in the form of questions:

  1. If you were responding to Ron's article, why did you follow up to your
own original question instead of his answer? People will not know who
are you talking to if you are responding to your own article but talking
to someone else (specially if it's a longer thread).

  2. Why did you quote the (=your) original article although you are not
in any way responding to it? When you quote something it's because you
are writing response to that specific quote.

  3. Why did you write your text at the beginning of the article and left
a useless quote at the end? You are not responding to the quote and you are
not using it in any way for your text. Why are you wasting server space
and bandwidth for a completely useless quote?
  (Of course the question in this particular case is not about physical
server disk space and physical bandwidth as the whole article is so short,
but people make the same mistake also with a lot larger articles and
besides the useless quote adds visual noise.)

  Why is it so common anyways that people write their answers at the
beginning of the article and quote the whole original article untouched
at the end? Don't they know how to delete a block of text?
  There are other mistakes people often do (although not in this case,
but I'll just list them as a reminder):

  - Answer first to a specific question and quote whole original article
after that. This makes no sense; people can't know what is the article
answering specially if the quote is long.

  - Too long quotes. It seems that some people don't know how to delete
bigger blocks of text (or for some reason are unwilling to delete anything
from the quote). Even when the answer is properly written after the quote
it's responding to, the writer still makes this mistake and leaves
unnecesarily huge blocks of quoted original text although he is answering
to just a few lines of it.

  - Not quoting anything although answering to a specific question. Although
this is not as bad as the previous ones, it's still better to quote at least
the original question and write the answer after the quote. This way people
will know what you are answering to.
  The only case where no quotes are needed is when the original article is
very long (more than 10 lines or so) and you are responding to the whole
article, to the general idea in it and not to a specific question inside it.
In fact, in these cases the quote _should_ be left out if it's just too long
(else it will be the previous mistake, ie. too long quotes). Another
possibility is to just quote few lines from the beginning and add a line
like "[SNIP]" or similar where the quote was cut out.

--
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I